Sunday, April 3, 2011

What a Way with Words...

Nov 9, 2006
What a way with words...
Current mood:silly

Last week I sent my aunt an email about a memory from 10 years ago. (Luck(y) is my cousin's nickname) My email to her was this:

...I remember when Luck and I were volunteering at Moffit and as we all were leaving one day, I said to you, Dianne, "He seemed nice" about a boy I had met. You responded with the question "and what did you learn?" Leave it to Lucky to pipe in with "nobody's nice". We all laughed.

I STILL laugh about that, but it was one of the most brilliant things I've learned. When you meet someone once, twice, even three times you have NO knowledge of whether that person is "nice". That word is thrown around too much. When I ask someone, "What's he like" or "Why do you like him/her?" and they say "he's nice" - that tells me either their vocabulary is slim, they are very boring, or they really weren't interested in that person and has no clue what they are like.

People can say nice things, do nice things. They may be charming - that doesn't make them nice. I feel like these two conversations hold the same content.

"How was your day?"
"Fine"

"What's he/she like?"
"oh he's/she's nice"

All it says is it existed. He/she existed. You were part of it. It means nothing.

Anyway, I just had to let you guys know how much that stuck with me and how glad I am for it. As much of a smart ass as Lucky is....I loved this comment and I replay it many many times.

Well...gotta rinse out my hair dye. Miss you and love you.



A few days later my aunt responded with this:



"Nobody's nice"??? Did he really say that? What a
smartass. Do you wonder where he got it from???

I'm not sure nobody's nice. It's a non-thinking, knee
jerk response to a serious question though. Very
much like your analogy of "How was your day?" "Fine."


Most people, I find, don't want to engage in
conversation. They have neither the time nor the
inclination to really talk, so they make this banal
social chit chat to make contact with each other, and
keep the social grease going on the wheels of their
little worlds. Kind of the equivalent of two dogs
sniffing noses, "saying 'Hi'", but far less serious
than sniffing butts, which is how they get to know who
the other individual really is.

You really have to ask yourself, do I wanna sniff this
guy's nose? or ass? That is the real question!!!

And with that charming image...I'll leave you!



I dare anyone to look me in the eye and say that this analagy did not make them laugh. (and I immediately told her that this was going to be blogged)



And yeah so what - yeah I'm listening to Salt N Pepa and yeah "if I wanna take a guy home with me tonight....it's none a yo business!" You all know the words, don't pretend like you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment