Sunday, April 3, 2011

"Good" Definition "satisfactory in quality, quantity, or degree"

Oct 12, 2006
"Good" Definition "satisfactory in quality, quantity, or degree"
Current mood:calm

I think it's pretty accurate to say that I cry at work (about work) maybe once a year. This happened 2 weeks ago. And then again today. I couldn't believe it. The past couple months have been overwhelming. I have SO much work to do, but I feel like things are really moving up for me at work too. I love my job, I always have. I have been the one who asks for more all the time because I WANT to know EVERYTHING. Well needless to say after 2.5 years I have finally kicked my own ass and taken on too much BUT - I finally owned up to it today and admitted that I couldn't do it all - which I have NEVER done and any job. I have worked many weekends (aside from when I went to Milwaukee ) lately, been at work late almost every day and am testing 8 different pieces of the future package. As I was working on this today, I had to flip in and out of our Production environment 2 or 3 times (within about 10 minutes) because I kept getting interrupted. Then a lady from a different department comes over and tells me about her computer (as I had asked her to do so I could look at it), as I was getting up to follow her, my phone rang and it happened to be a call I needed to take because you just don't "ignore" this extension when it calls you. So the person on the phone needed something and go figure as I'm trying to produce it for her, it wasn't cooperating. Then the first lady (who's computer I still hadn't looked at) - her boss calls me to get me over there quicker. I stop at the network guy's desk because I really needed to talk to him about this computer, but he was on the phone with just as important of an issue. So I needed to get to the other side of the building to help, and when I got in the lobby in the middle, I felt the tears coming. I stopped at the receptionist's desk for a moment and grabbed a tissue just for about 2 minutes to pull myself together....and then I was fine. I went back "home" to my desk and then went and talked to my boss. All I asked was "do you mind if I come in on Saturday for a couple hours?" She said "Why would you want to do that when you don't have to come in at all this weekend?" and I said "I don't want to - I just don't have the time to get my testing done with all the other distractions and need some time to focus on it". I expected her to say "okay" and leave it at that - but instead she was great. She and the accounting manager and I sat down and talked about what "I" want to do. Granted I am going to school for accounting, and it does interest me but I don't want to do that forever....I would much rather be more involved with the IT team as I am getting now. We talked about a plan for getting some of the "shit work" off of my plate and getting me more involved in the things that I really have an interest in. I am interested in everything I do - but I just don't have time for it. I couldn't have felt better. AND listen to how great my coworker is (they mostly all are) but get this. The network guy has been neck deep in work also for the last couple months. His girlfriend and I are friends. She and I and a couple other girls want to go to Hayward for "girls weekend" in the middle of November. I KNOW that I would have to come in to work that weekend - I know it - even though my boss sais "if you have plans, we'll reschedule" - there's no way - that is the only weekend we could do this package and have it all done by Dec 1. So I said the the network guy "what I really want to do is go to Hayward....but I think this is the only weekend that will work" and he (who knows almost nothing about the certain software I have to test) says "nope. You're going. I'll come in and do the package, I'll learn how" I know that he can't do that - and it would never in a million years be approved, but the fact that he cared enough, even being as busy as he has been - it just makes me happy to work there. After all that stress, which still isn't over, and after have TWO breakdowns in less than a month, I know that I can speak up if I have a concern, and I work among people that geniunely care. I don't mean to sound like a Hallmark card, I'm just really happy that I've found such a good job, and such great people. Sometimes it takes a few tears, and an overload, to realize how good we really are. Doesn't make much sense at first. You just have to be ready to accept that you're "good".

No comments:

Post a Comment