Sunday, April 3, 2011

Going Toward the Light (April 12, 2009)

Going Toward the Light!





I've been really struggling throughout the winter w/ my bills, taxes, and just finances in general. Just when I saw the light at the end of the tunnel and said "Wow - by April 10th, everything will be good again!", I got a $470 bill. Then just when I said "Okay but then, wow! By May 8th I will be all caught up" then I hit a snag with my taxes. Now today I got hit with ANOTHER $422 bill - which I'm hoping I can actually get removed if I play my cards right. But DAMN! Everytime I see that light at the end of the tunnel, someone spins me around and tries to push me in the other direction!!!! I NEED TO GET TO THAT LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

But I realize though that I've made some pretty good sacrafices - and am continuing to do so.




I quit getting my nails done. I love having them done - it's one of those "treat yourself" things. But at $40-60 a month....Can't do it. I miss it....it's been....5 months.

Carpool. Doesn't always work out - but Stephanie and I try to alternate weeks for driving to work. It helps a ton.

Picked up a second job. Does not pay well AT ALL!!! But for now, at least it's a little cushion.

Spreadsheet: I have a spreadsheet where I track literally every cent that I spend - and what I spend it on. From my mortgage pmt to the .50 Diet Cokes I drink at work every day. It's amazing to see all the unnecessary expenses that I was oblivious too.

Bars: Sometimes I may still get a little crazy, but overall....I don't spend much (NOTHING LIKE I DID LAST YEAR) on going out. I go to Horseshoes almost every Friday night now if I'm looking for something fun to do. $1 taps and .50 pool. Can't go wrong.

Groceries: I'm slummin it. I'm actually buying regularly at the Save-A-Lot. But you know - today I got 4 bags of groceries (plastic) - and only spent $39.16. It isn't a classy place but there are some great deals. Still have to go to the regular grocery stores for some certain things....but not much!

Cooking in bulk: I'm trying to cook 4 or 5 servings at a time...and freeze. It's much easier to grab from the freezer for lunches before work, than it is to prepare something or give up and go out for lunch.

Credit Cards. A couple months ago, I cut up a couple credit cards. It's helped a ton - amazing how fast the balances drop when you don't use them! Tonight....I cut up another. This one was a tough one....but it NEEDED to be done.

I know it's gonna' get better.....it's sooo close! I'm so damn close - it's literally "2 steps forward, 1 back" and I don't want those backwards steps! I can see that light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm running out of breath trying to chase it!!! *sigh*. But I will do it. I need to keep realizing that - 3 months ago I was in tears thinking "what am I going to do??! I can't live like this" to "only a few more weeks to go, and I'll be alright". That's a pretty giant step in a short amount of time. I know it won't be like this forever. And once I'm caught up here....my remaining balances on things can get lowered faster. For that I am excited, and for that I will remain optimistic and keep striving. I'm so close. It's gonna be a tight month - maybe even 2 months - but it's worth it. So if I am canceling any plans in the near future, or not up for doing dinner/drinks/movies/whatever....don't forget about me. Just understand I need to be disciplined and get this done. Striving for the light!

No comments:

Post a Comment