Sunday, April 3, 2011

Hometown

Jul 23, 2006
Hometown
Current mood:amused

Man I hate this place. I took a couple days to go back to hometown, Park Rapids to visit the fam. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing my parents, and grandparents, and a few friends around here...but all in all the town as a whole makes my stomache churn. Last night I went out to a bar with a few friends of mine who I enjoyed seeing very much. The bar, which shall remain nameless, is out in the next county in the middle of nowhere. It was 10:00 or so when I headed to this place, and let me tell you, I'd be less frightened to drive drunk in Duluth, than sober in Park Rapids. (don't take that too literal). Park Rapids is terrifying to drive in at night time and you never know what is going to pop out in front of you. There are about 10 radio stations to choose from. 8 country, 1 religious, and 1 classic rock station that has been plaing the same Doors song and AC/DC song for AT LEAST the last 10 years. Right now my family is out in the living room and are talking about who married who from their class. This conversation has been going on for a while. Anyway...I've sidetracked. Easy to do around here. So I get out to this bar, the only building on the entire road, so I walk in, and I haven't been to this place since I was 16 and forgot how small it really is. There are about 6 teeny tiny tables that can sit 2 people each. There were 5 of us up at the bar, and that's all that could fit at the bar. That was it. No more. This morning we went out to breakfast, and everyone knows everyone...I'm not saying like - oh I bumped into so an so. I mean EVERYONE knows EVERYONE! At least 4 of the waitresses were the same waitresses that have been there 15 years plus. What really bums me out is I have a friend of mine, whom I have just cherished for years. This guy has been so close to my heart for many years and we've always been there to try and help each other through our troubles. When he lived in Duluth, he was in so much trouble all the time, our friendship was on the rocks, and I still don't think he even knows it. So now he is back in Park Rapids, 26 and living at his parents'. He's cleaned up and that is SO important, but I definitely miss him. I was thinking about how great it would be to have him come visit me up in Duluth when he has a chance, but at the same time...as much as I love seeing him and I miss him SO much, I know he'll never come back ....if he knows what's good for him. The second he steps into Duluth, I can see the old habits coming back. And you know, it's best for that reason that he stays away from there, and even though he's living at home, he's doing what he needs to do to straighten up and I am proud of him for that. It's more the fact of...I don't come around Park Rapids very often, and it's sad that that's really the only time I can see him. Man I hate this town. And I feel like no one can think for themselves here. Anyway when I was driving back from this bar last night (which apparantly closes at 10, but because the bar owner's knew the people I was with we were there until 12:30. Small town. So I'm driving back and I'm really trying hard to think about the good times I had growing up here. And I had great friends and had a good time in school, but now...there was nothing - Not a damn thing I could say good about this place (aside from friends). And then I finally got to my parent's house which is where you would expect serial killers to live - out in the middle of the woods. And I got out of the car and had my breath taken away. The stars were so close I felt like I could almost touch them. In Duluth, if you go out into the country a little ways or out on the North Shore, you can see the stars...but nothing like this. This was the entire galaxy floating right above you. So...that's my story. I pretty much can't think of many good things about Park Rapids, but the stars can.

No comments:

Post a Comment